Stews are a type of dish that typically consists of meat, vegetables, and sometimes grains that are cooked slowly in a liquid. The ingredients are usually cooked together in a pot or a slow cooker, and the resulting dish has a thick, hearty texture and a rich flavor. Stews are often associated with comfort food and are popular in many different cuisines around the world, including European, African, and Asian cuisine. They are also a popular type of dish for home cooks to make, as they are relatively easy to prepare and can be customized with a wide variety of ingredients and seasonings.
Tapioca starch in stews
Starch can be important in stews as it can help to thicken the liquid and create a more desirable texture. Starchy ingredients such as flour, cornstarch, and arrowroot are commonly used to thicken stews and other similar dishes. Tapioca starch, due to its excellent thickening properties, can also be used in stews to help create a desired texture. Additionally, tapioca starch has the advantage of being gluten-free, making it a suitable option for those with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
Here’s a simple stew recipe that includes tapioca starch as an ingredient:
- 1 lb stew meat (beef or lamb), cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the stew meat and brown on all sides for 5-7 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot, and stir until well combined.
- Return the meat to the pot, along with the sliced carrots and cubed potatoes.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Let the stew simmer for 1-2 hours, or until the meat is tender and the vegetables are soft.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and 2 tablespoons of cold water until smooth.
- Add the tapioca starch mixture to the stew and stir well to combine.
- Let the stew simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the broth has thickened to your liking.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed, then serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious tapioca starch thickened stew!